Growing up my mother would make sweet potato casserole every Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember. I have adapted this southern Thanksgiving staple to have only real food ingredients, but still that melt-in-your-mouth sweet potato goodness! This sweet potato casserole is a festive, mouth-watering addition to your Thanksgiving meal. (Or anytime the craving for it hits) And now I make this every Thanksgiving for our family! (If you have a crowd, definitely double this recipe and bake it in a 9X13 casserole dish.) Before you begin cooking and baking, you’ll want to check the ingredient list and make sure that you have everything on hand. Here are the sweet potato casserole ingredients that you will need to gather before you begin:
Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients:
For the filling you will need:
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup half and half
- 1/3 stick of butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the topping you will need:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 all purpose flour flour
- 1/3 stick of butter, soft
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
(Because I get many requests for where I get my supplies, I have made as many of the supplies as possible clickable in the directions for your convenience.)
Sweet Potato Casserole Directions:
1. Wash the sweet potatoes and then prick each one several times with a fork.
2. Bake or cook them completely. ( I like to do this in the oven at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes or in the Instant Pot for 30 minutes.)
3. While the potatoes are cooking, begin to mix up the topping. In a medium mixing bowl, mix 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of flour together with a pastry blender. (This is also a good time to preheat the oven to 375 degrees if you are not baking the potatoes.)
4. Then add and cut in 1/3 cup of room temperature butter with a pastry blender.
5. Stir in 1 cup of chopped pecans. Now the topping is complete; set it aside.
6. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove the peeling, and place them into a large mixing bowl. Mash them with a pastry blender or potato masher.
7. Add in the ½ cup half and half, ½ cup honey, 2 eggs, 1/3 stick melted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well with a Danish dough whisk or whisk.
9. Pour the sweet potato filling into the buttered casserole/skillet.
10. Evenly sprinkle the topping over the sweet potato filling.
11. Place into oven and bake for about 30 minutes. The sweet potato casserole will be bubbling, and the topping will be a lovely golden brown when it is baked. (These are the best oven mitts ever – I never get burned through them even with hot cast iron!)
12. Allow the sweet potato casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the topping to solidify a bit. ENJOY!
Other posts that you may enjoy for the Thanksgiving season:
- Learn how to make Simple Beeswax Candles that will add a cozy ambiance to your Thanksgiving table.
- Find the perfect Fall & Winter Essential Oils for Diffusing in your home during the holidays to keep everything smelling fresh.
- Find some new Children’s Thanksgiving Books to read to the little ones as you celebrate the day.
- Make a simple one bowl Pumpkin Cake for the perfect Thanksgiving dessert!
- Use this Honey Wheat Bread recipe to make two dozen fresh rolls for Thanksgiving.