Tired of the bugs bugging you!? Let me tell you, we have SO MANY bugs down here in the deep south. And the ‘skeeters and no-see-ums’ always seem determined to carry us away anytime the weather is pleasant. It is so annoying. Our family does not use any products containing DEET, so I am always on the lookout for something natural to help repel those pests. This is the essential oil insect repellent recipe that our entire family uses. We have had great success keeping our Lowcountry bugs at bay with this Bug Off Repellent essential oil recipe! (If you live in a different demographic, you may find that you need to play around with which oils work best to deter the insect species where you are.) I chose several essential oils known for their insect repelling properties. (Remember this will not kill bugs, it works to repel them.) I also chose not to use citrus for this insect repellent essential oil recipe. The reason is that they are photosensitive, and you are likely to use this in the sunshine. Here is a simple breakdown of the oils and what bugs generally dislike them.
Essential Oils Used:
1. Choose a glass bottle and label it. Preferably a bottle that has a dark color. Dark color bottles preserve the essential oils better than clear ones by protecting it from light.
2. Add 10 drops of EACH essential oil.
3. Top off with witch hazel.
4. Secure top and gently shake to combine.
5. Use on skin or clothing to help deter bugs when outdoors. Use caution not to get into eyes, nose, or mouth. Reapply as needed. Enjoy your homemade essential oil insect repellent!
“Why didn’t Noah swat those two mosquitoes?” ~ Annonymous