I don’t know about you, but while I enjoy wearing makeup, I don’t enjoy removing it! I wanted a way to make the process simpler, so I decided to come up with my own DIY makeup remover recipe! You can use this recipe in a couple of different ways. You can keep the liquid in a small 4 oz jar and apply to cotton balls or rounds. Or you can make ready to use pre-moistened cotton rounds. I created this with gentle, skin loving ingredients that are all natural and actually nourish your skin while they work to remove makeup. Use extreme caution around your eyes! This is a makeup remover, you will want to continue with your normal facial wash routine after using. Now let’s take a look at these essential oils and get right into the recipe!
Essential Oils for Skin Support:
- Lavender Essential Oil is cleansing and nourishing. It is extremely nourishing and may aid in the healing of acne and other skin irritations. This soothing essential oil promotes youthful skin. (To learn more about the benefits of lavender essential oil, see my post here.)
- Rosemary Essential Oil is cleansing and clarifying. It encourages balance of your face’s natural oils. It is also soothing and calming to skin. (To learn more about the benefits of rosemary essential oil, see my post here.)
- Orange Essential Oil is skin smoothing, wrinkle reducing, and fights cellulite. It may help reduce the appearance of acne. (To learn more about the benefits of orange essential oil, see my post here.)
DIY Makeup Remover Essential Oil Recipe Supplies:
1. Open a clean glass bottle.
2. Add 1/4 cup of purified water.
3. Add 1/4 cup of witch hazel.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of liquid castile soap.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of fractionated coconut oil, or oil of choice.
6. Add 2 drops of lavender essential oil.
7. Add 2 drops of rosemary essential oil.
8. Add 4 drops of orange essential oil.
9. Stir well to mix.
10. Add cotton rounds until all liquid is absorbed. Secure lid.
11. Remove makeup with cotton balls or rounds. Follow with your normal face wash routine. (Or rinse with warm water – this has soap in it, so do not leave it on your face indefinitely.)
*Use within 2-4 weeks. Store in cool dark place, or a refrigerator if desired. Use caution around eyes. If not adding cotton rounds, be sure to shake well before each use as the ingredients will separate.
~ If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy my Glow Facial Serum recipe. You can find it here.
~ Do you struggle with acne? You may find my Acne Roller recipe helpful too. You can find the recipe here.
- The Aromatherapy Encyclopedia, Schiller, Carol & Dave (2012) Basic Health Publications, Inc.
- Essential Oils Desk Reference 8th Edition, (2019) Life Science Publishing
- Essential Oils On-the-Go Field Reference 1st Edition, (2021) Life & Science Publishing