Cleaning with Thieves in the kitchen has never been easier! Young Living has an entire line of Thieves home cleaning products! I love grabbing the Thieves Home Bundle because it has everything we use in it; and the products in it will last us 3-6 months. But today I want to chat specifically about how I use Thieves to keep our kitchen clean. I don’t know about you, but our kitchen gets ALOT of use. Hello family of 7!! Not to mention, almost every meal is from scratch. It certainly doesn’t take long for it to become a bit of a disaster station. I am grateful to have the Thieves home line as an easy option. Not only do I have the peace of mind that it’s plant-based and completely free of toxins, IT WORKS!
Cleaning with Thieves 10 Ways in the Kitchen:
In our home, we use Thieves on every surface of our kitchen to keep it clean and fresh. Below are the top 10 ways we use Thieves to get a naturally sparkling clean kitchen!
1. Deodorizing and Freshening the Air:
Diffusing essential oils in the kitchen is the simplest way to keep your kitchen free of food odors. Citrus essential oils are especially great at deodorizing. Thieves essential oil blend has orange essential oil in it. I love to diffuse lemon or orange essential oil with Thieves. It is a great combination. (If you have never diffused essential oils, you can visit my Diffusing Essential Oils Basics post here.)
2. Clean Counters, Cabinets, and Tabletops:
To make Thieves All-Purpose Cleaner, simply add 1 capful of Young Living Thieves Household Cleaner concentrate to 16 oz of water in a glass spray bottle, shake to combine. Use the Thieves all-purpose cleaner to spray on surfaces and wipe clean. Dry if desired. I clean my wooden tables and granite countertops with this everyday. (To learn more about Thieves Cleaner, visit my Thieves Cleaner: A Natural Clean post here.)
3. Washing Hands:
Thieves Foaming Handsoap works wonderfully at removing and washing away germs. I love this hand soap, which contains zero toxins and is gentle on our skin – it does not dry it out! This soap is very concentrated, I can triple it! Here is how I do that. In a 32 oz glass jar, add 16 oz of water, then pour the entire 8 oz bottle of hand soap into it. Secure a lid tightly to the top. Gently shake back and forth to combine. Allow any suds to settle, then pour 8 oz back into the foam bottle. Secure lid and save the other 16 oz for refills.
4. Cleaning the Kitchen Sink:
Use a natural scrub like Bon Ammi or Thieves Kitchen & Bath Scrub, or a DIY baking soda scrub and scrub/clean sinks as normal. I personally sprinkle Bon Ami and soak it down with the Thieves all-purpose cleaner. Scrub as usual and rinse well. If your disposal needs a refresh, an easy way to do that is to add 6 drops of lemon essential oil to 1/2 cup of baking soda and dump inside the disposal. Then pour 1 cup of distilled white vinegar over that. Allow to sit for a minute, then turn on hot water, and run your disposal for about 30 seconds. This should leave it smelling fresh – if it does, you will want to give it a deep clean. (See point 10)
5. Glass Cleaning:
To make your own glass cleaner, add 1 capful of Young Living Thieves Household Cleaner concentrate, 2 oz of isopropyl alcohol, and 14 oz of water to a 16 oz glass spray bottle. Shake to combine. This is perfect for cleaning anything glass in your kitchen. Windows, microwave front window and inside, refrigerator shelves, glass stovetop, etc. It also cleans granite well and gives it a nice streak-free shine!
6. Mopping Floors:
Add 1 capful of concentrate and a small squirt of Thieves Dish Soap to your mop water. This works well in refillable spray mops too – you only need a half of a capful though! Add any essential oils that you desire for extra scent. Popular favorites are lavender, lemon, and pine!
7. De-Greaser Cleaner:
If you have an extra greasy area to clean, like my stovetop after I fry bacon, this is a good choice for the job. In a 16 oz glass spray bottle add 14 oz of water, 2 capfuls of Young Living Thieves Household Cleaner concentrate, 2 oz of Thieves Dish Soap. (or unscented castile soap) Secure spray top, shake to combine. Spray on greasy surfaces and wipe clean, repeat as necessary. Finish off with a quick spray down and wipe with the Glass Cleaner for an extra shine if desired.
8. Cleaning Produce:
1) Soaking Produce: First, give everything a quick rinse to remove excess debris. Then fill a sink with enough water to submerge all the produce, and add Theives Fruit & Veggie Soak. Allow to soak for a couple of minutes. Drain water and rinse well. Allow produce to dry. 2) Spraying Produce: In a 16 oz glass spray bottle fill almost full with water and 1 tablespoon of Thieves Fruit & Veggie, secure spray top and gently shake to combine. Rinse produce to remove excess debris. Then spray produce until it is completely soaked. Allow to soak for a couple of minutes. Rinse well and allow produce to dry.
9. Washing Dishes:
Thieves Dish Soap uses plant-based ingredients that clean dishes without leaving behind any chemical residue! That is not something I want left on something our food is touching. I appreciate that Thieves Dish Soap is always free from:
- Synthetic Fragrance/Perfume
You can use the ready-made Thieves Dish Soap as is, or you can triple it using the easy hack below. Either way, this plant-based formula will safely and effectively clean your dishes and leave them sparkling clean!
How to Triple Young Living Thieves Dish Soap:
You will divide the Thieves Dish Soap into 3 12 oz bottles. Into each bottle add:
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 capful of Young Living Thieves Household Cleaner (concentrate)
- 4 oz of Young Living Thieves Dish Soap
Secure lid, gently shake to combine. Allow to sit overnight before use.
*Tip for extra dirty dishes: sprinkle a little Thieves Kitchen + Bath Scrub onto stuck on food. It really saves some elbow grease! I add a little dish soap onto a scrubbie then scrub it clean.
10. Deep Cleaning Kitchen Appliances:
- Refrigerator: First clear shelves and empty drawers. Then spray everything down well and wipe clean with your Thieves Household all-purpose cleaner. Repeat as needed. To help keep odors at bay, leave some baking soda with several drops of lemon essential oil in it (and Thieves if desired) in the refrigerator to deodorize. You can add baking soda to a small open bowl or cup or a small carton. (To learn about the benefits and uses of lemon essential oil, visit my Lemon Essential Oil post here.)
- Microwave: First warm up a cup of water for 2 minutes. This will create steam, which will help soften any food residue that may be stuck. Carefully remove the hot water and pour down the kitchen sink. Next, remove the microwave turntable and set in the sink. Now spray inside the microwave with your Thieves De-Greaser cleaner and wipe clean. Repeat until completely clean. Wash the turntable with Thieves Dish Soap, wipe dry, then place it back inside the microwave.
- Oven: First remove the oven racks. Then sprinkle a natural scrub on the bottom of the oven and on the inside of the door if needed. Nest spray the inside down with Thieves cleaner. (If it is greasy, you may prefer the de-greaser cleaner spray instead) Take a scrubbie, or brush, and scrub it around in circular motions. Allow to sit and soften baked on debris for 10-20 minutes; you should spray on more Thieves cleaner if it begins to dry too quickly. Next, scrub and rinse, scrub and rinse until clean. (Or as clean as you can get it. Ovens can be notoriously difficult to clean once food is baked on.) After scrubbing, take a clean rag moistened with water and wipe everything down to ensure all the cleaner has been removed. Put the oven racks back inside. Finish off with a quick spray down and wipe with the Glass Cleaner for an extra shine if desired.
- Stovetop: Sprinkle natural scrub and spray down with Thieves Household all-purpose cleaner. (If it is greasy, you may prefer the de-greaser cleaner spray instead) Take a scrubbie, or brush, and scrub it around in circular motions. Allow to sit and soften baked on debris for 10-20 minutes; you should spray on more Thieves cleaner if it begins to dry too quickly. Next, scrub until clean, or as clean as possible. After scrubbing, take a clean rag moistened with water and wipe everything down to ensure all the cleaner has been removed. (If you have a coil-top you can remove coils, lift, and clean the inside are the same way.) Finish off with a quick spray of Glass Cleaner to the top for an extra shine if desired.
- Dishwasher: First, the dishwasher must be empty. Pull the bottom rack forward and look into the bottom of the dishwasher for a filter. You should be able to twist and lift it up and out. Take the filter to your sink and clean it well. Spray/scrub off all nasty residue. Put back into dishwasher. Look around inside, especially the door seal area for any gunk. Spray your Thieves all-purpose cleaner on all gun and wipe clean with a paper towel. After all excess gunk is cleaned, in the bottom of the dishwasher add 1 cup of distilled white vinegar and 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner concentrate. Close the dishwasher and run the “Clean” cycle.
- In-Sink Disposal: Add several cups of ice to the sink. Sprinkle 1 cup of baking soda over the ice and drip 10 drops of lemon essential oil over the it. Turn on the hot water, then turn on the disposal. Allow to run until all the ice has run through. If desired, you can also do the refresh again. The vinegar will help to flush out any leftover gunk. (see point 4 above)
Products & Supplies:
The Thieves Home Bundle has all of the Young Living products mentioned in this post. You can learn about the laundry soap (including how to triple it) on my post here.