This baked potato soup recipe is one of my husband’s favorite meals! Many of you will also appreciate that this soup is gluten-free! I love that it is full of healthy fats and it really packs a punch in the protein department – this pot of soup boasts over 175 grams of protein!! It is such a nourishing and filling meal, making it the perfect ending to a long cold day. I hope you enjoy this delicious baked potato soup recipe!
- 1 pack of bacon, diced into 1/2 inch pieces (I use Butcher Box for my bacon – you can use my referral link here and get a nice deal and some savings on your order!)
- 3 pounds of gold potatoes, washed, peeled, and uniformly cubed
- 1/2 stick of butter (I love Kerrygold or Cabot brands.)
- 1/4 cup of diced sweet onion (Vidalia is my favorite kind.)
- 2 cups of chicken bone broth (Make sure it says BONE broth, this adds much more protein and nutrients.)
- 3 cups of whole milk
- salt, pepper, and paprika to taste
- 8 ounce block of sharp white cheddar, shredded (do NOT use pre-shredded! I love Cabot brand.)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream (I use Daisy brand because it does not contain any weird additives.)
- 3 tablespoons of corn starch (Look for non-GMO, like Rumford.)
Baked Potato Soup Recipe:
1: Wash, peel, and uniformly cube 3 pounds of gold potatoes. Place in a large pot and cover with water, bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are cooked through and soft. Drain potatoes and add back into pot. (Momentarily set the pot aside, leaving it on the hot burner may cause the potatoes to stick and burn.)
2: Dice 1 pack of bacon into 1/2 squares and place into skillet. Cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove from skillet, drain, and set aside.
3: Dice 1/4 cup of sweet onion and saute in 1/2 stick of butter until opaque and tender. Add to potatoes.
4: To the potatoes add: 2 cups of chicken bone broth and 3 cups of whole milk. Salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Stir.
5: Return pot to burner, bring almost to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until thoroughly heated through. Stir occasionally. Take a potato masher and mash potatoes to desired size.
6: In a measuring cup add 1/2 cup of sour cream and 3 tablespoons of corn starch. Mix until combined. Using a whisk, slowly add the sour cream mixture into the potato soup. Continue whisking until completely combined and soup has thickened.
7: Add the 8 ounces of grated sharp cheddar. Stir until completely melted. Add in the bacon pieces. Stir to combine. Turn off burner and serve the baked potato soup while hot – enjoy!!
For more real food recipes, you can visit the Homemaking section of my blog.